Basketball is becoming more and more popular all over the world these days. Since the days of Michael Jordan, basketball has developed to be not only the American thing, but also inspired many athletes everywhere to play and enjoy this game. With Yao Ming and Kobe Bryant presents in recent years, basketball has spread to Asia and Europe as well.
Many people play this game but not so many know the fundamentals and crucial elements to take this game to the next level. If you want to to find a better way to improve and become better at basketball not only offensively but also defensively, read the following tips below and learn how to become better at basketball in offense and defense.
1. Shooting – The most important and unbeatable in the basketball game is shooting a basketball. Watch Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and all of the Greats, they all have strong jump shooting ability. This will help you score in a wide variety of range because you are unpredictable and harder to guard. To improve your jump shot you need to understand the basic concept of B-E-E-F which stands for: Balance, Elbow in, Eyes on target, and Follow through.
To become better at basketball, you must learn to master the jump shot. it is the most dangerous weapon for any basketball players. Another way to score is a layup or dunk. It is a much easier and more effective shot. However, if the opponent’s defenders are taller or stronger, it is not that easy to score. Combination of jump shots and drive-ins can give your have a better perspective look.
2. Ball handling – Ball handing and dribbling skills are crucial elements to help you become better at your basketball game. If you play Center position, you may not need as much ball handling as the Point Guard, but it is still important to work on your ball handling skills. There are many useful drills to help you work on your handling. Pass the ball behind your back from one hand to another, move the ball between your legs without dropping it…Also work on your dribble by doing it blind folded, dribble with your right and left hands, between the legs, behind your backs and so on…
3. Passing – Depends on your position on the court, you may need to pass more or less. However, no matter what position you play, creating good passes that help your teammates to score is very important. Finding an open man and pass him the ball require not only passing skills but also a great vision. Practice passing with two hands, 1 hand, behind the back, over the defense. Practice passing can also improves your ball handling as well.
4. Play without the ball – Make an effort of getting the ball more often, don’t just stand there and wait for the ball, make a play. You can’t become better at basketball if you don’t have the ball to score or pass. Try to lead the game and your teammates. When you don’t have the ball, run without it and find open spaces and that will make it easier for your teammates to find you. Doing this will help you become a much better all around basketball player.
5. Better defense – Playing great defensive game is just as hard as playing offense. If you watch all the greats like Michael Jordan, Magic, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant…. they are excellent on both offensive and defensive end. Practicing defense requires a lot of energy and concentration. Stay close to your opponent at all times and don’t give him too much freedom to do what he wants.
Do the drills and work hard at it. Also, never make the mistake by jumping up when your opponents shoot the ball, do your best to put a hand on his face and force him to miss the shot. Playing better defense also means you need to get a good number of rebounds. Offensive rebounds are dangerous for your defense because you give your opponent too many changes to score.
6. Practice, practice, practice – “Not the game, we’re talking about PRACTICE man!”
Well…very funny Allan…but if you want to be like Iverson someday, you’ve got to practice! Yes you heard me, practice. When you get to his level, then you can say or do whatever you want, but until then, practice, practice, and more practice. There’s no other way around it. No shortcuts, no cheats, only…more practice. Did I hear practice? Yes, practice! Are you a franchise player?… so practice.
7. Explosive power – If you want to become better at basketball, other than skills and tricks, you must have strength and power. Basketball is a physical game and toughness is the key elements to help you get in good position to shoot, run faster on fast break, jump higher to dunk a basketball or to get rebounds. If you want to get results fast, try to do plyometrics exercises and heavy weight lifting. You need more muscles in order to add explosive power to your mix.
8. Watching and learning – Watch mixtapes, videos about basketball and learn how to move like the pros. Don’t just watch a single player, watch the whole court and see what everybody is doing and how to do it all together. Sleep on it and after that, some more practice, practice, and practice. If you want to become better at basketball, you need to have dedication and hard work, you need to follow your dreams.Tags:basketball skills, become better at basketball, defense, offense